Wednesday, March 6, 2013

P90X - Blend Until Smooth and Creamy...



P90X - Blend Until Smooth and Creamy

Yes, this is my 87th day of 90 and being a Wednesday, I got to do the Back and Biceps workout along with the Ab Ripper X as an add on.

I find it interesting how ones arms fatigue and become rubbery after prolonged exercise. Case in point, Back and Biceps was just as the title says...exercising the back and biceps. This of course involved nothing more that curling weights with lots of pull-ups in between. My first set of pull-ups were normal with the expected number being achieved. By the time the program was nearing the end I was lucky if I could do 4 pull-ups, if that many. There just wasn't any strength left in my arms.

Tony, the P90X guru suggests that when doing curls (or any weight lifting) you should pick a number and go for it (8-12 or 12-15). If the number you reach doesn't bring on the burn, you need to either increase the number or increase the weight. He also says that when you get to a point where you can't lift anymore and you are losing your form, that is the time to stop. I did each curl with that advice as my focus. There were many times when doing curls, I just couldn't lift that weight another inch...the rubbery arm thing once again.

Now that I am all done, I feel that wonderful tingling all over and it is good. Time for me to make my own version of a recovery drink. I looked at the P90X Beachbody formula for their recovery drink and it has too many stimulants in it for me. I have my own versions of  recovery drinks that I use and for me, they do the job. 

When I run, I always drink Gatorade. That keeps me going and replenishes electrolytes as well. When I finish a heavy workout, like any of the P90X routines I take a large scoop of Whey powder with protein (chocolate or vanilla) and add it to 8-10 oz of water and shake well. When I only have 30 minutes left to my workout, I put the Whey drink in the freezer so by time I get to it, it is frosty cold (yummy). This helps rebuild my muscle tissue and energize me for the rest of the day. I am going to start juicing veggies and fruits on a daily basis as a part of my long term maintenance.

Here is a recipe for a smoothie that you might enjoy. Take a hand full of frozen fruit and place it in a blender. Then while it is mixing add the following; a large carrot, a stalk of celery, a tomato and a few ice cubes. Blend until smooth and creamy. Enjoy.  (Note: some blenders do not chop veggies fine enough so a juicer would be a good alternative). 


Now, that's Yummy

1 comment:

  1. I've been getting into making smoothie type of drinks too! A great way to get in some extra fruits and veggies.

    ReplyDelete