Thursday, May 16, 2013

Italy as it Happened...Day 14


Italy as it Happened...Day 14

Tuesday, April 23rd

God really has a sense of humor when it comes to the weather. As I mentioned in my previous posting, yesterday poured all day. The first  thing I did when I got up this morning was open the window and do a weather check. As I peered out onto the courtyard I saw large puddles dancing with rain drop ripples. Here we go again!

Obviously Kerry and I would have to dress for an encore of yesterdays ordeal; walking (and waiting) in the pouring rain. This was unusual for us. Typically we were very lucky when it came to vacation weather. We have visited Seattle many times without seeing a drop of rain. We've travelled to the Northeast only to be greeted by an unusually mild and dry climate. Even Europe in the Spring usually greeted us with sunshine and mild temps. Yes, for Kerry and me, rain on our vacation was uncommon, especially two days in a row.

When I prepared Kerry's morning coffee I noticed that more than half of my milk was gone. Did it evaporate? I think not. I knew our apartment mates helped themselves and that was a little irritating. When you stay at these B&B's there is a common rule as far as the kitchen goes; only eat and drink your own food and beverage. These guys were leaving today to continue their European vacation in France so I just let it be. No sense crying over stolen milk!

As Kerry and I headed out the door (after a hearty breakfast of granola with fruit) we were sure to dress for what the day had in store for us. Bumble Bee jackets, umbrellas, sweaters or layered "T" shirts, all of these were in place upon our bodies. Since we were doing a walking tour of the Vatican, we decided not to bring our back pack. The security would be intense and having a loaded back pack would just slow things down. Instead, we filled every pocket in our Bumble Bee's with snacks, waters and various other accessories we would need throughout the day (scarves, Lipstick (Kerry's), maps and bus/metro passes). We were set; loaded down but set.

As soon as we arrived at the Vatican the clouds parted allowing a beautiful (hot) sun to shine down on us. That was it for the rain. The remainder of the day would bathe us in sunshine. I think we were over dressed. That was God's joke on us. Funny!


The line at the Vatican was the largest line I had ever seen. It was at least 6 people wide and wrapped around the Vatican starting at the Museum entrance and ended a 1/4 mile down the road. I was expecting our planned Walking tour to be somewhat like yesterdays tour, but I was completely wrong. This tour was just an organized group that somehow bypassed the entire entrance and ticket lines. Together, the 20 of us just walked up to the gate. Our guide spoke with the guard and presto, he allowed us through. Then, once inside she had us wait in a tight group while she went to get us our entrance tickets (another long line she walked around to avoid). Within 10 minutes she was back with a hand full of tickets, allowing us entrance into all of the Vatican museums (and there were many). Once our ticket was received she was gone. We were now free to go in any direction we wanted to. The day (and the Vatican) was ours to explore at our own pace.










The Vatican museum, in my opinion, was as brilliant as any other world class museum. And what we saw was just the tip of the iceberg. I know that the vaults below are filled with unimaginable quantities of art collections, seen by only the chosen (privileged) few. My only complaint was the amount of people flowing through each room or corridor. The congestion was so thick one could barely find a moment to look around and take in all of the beauty. Kerry and I did manage to take the route of the "Salmon" going in the opposite direction of the flow. It made for a more interesting adventure. All of the secondary museums were almost vacant of tourist. We saw (and touched) many fine pieces of art in these not-so-often visited galleries. 










I guess the highlight was arriving at the Sistine Chapel. My neck actually ached from constantly looking up at that amazing ceiling. Michelangelo, after finishing the Sistine Chapel painted a self portrait, presenting himself as an old man in his late sixties or early seventies. He said that even though he was young (30's) when he was commissioned to do the ceiling, after its completion he never felt so old in his life. The stress and backache (and neck ache too) was very taxing on his mind and body. With my aching neck (only after 15 minutes of looking up) I sympathized with him and the painful endurance he must have suffered. I walked away from that experience confirming my opinion that Michelangelo was indeed the greatest master of the renaissance, if not the greatest master ever.














 After walking in and out of various museums all day we decided to end the experience by going inside of St. Peters Basilica. "Spectacular" is the only word that can describe what was standing there before us. They sure don't build churches like that anymore...who could afford it? I would suggest that you Google St. Peters Basilica and have a look for yourself and the amazing artwork. Pictures (and my words) can't do it justice.



By 5:00 pm we were done, home by 5:30 pm and I was preparing dinner by 6:00 pm (and yes, we got to use the kitchen as our apartment mates were now gone). By 6:30 pm we were sitting back with our feet up checking Facebook and e-mails while charging up all of our electronics at the same time.

                                  This is how you out-smart a pickpocket

Tomorrow we had a plan...the plan was to not have a plan. Yes, we were going to see whatever we wanted to see with no schedules and no tours (especially the walking kind). Should make for an interesting day.

No comments:

Post a Comment