Thursday, November 29, 2012

P90X and chocolate don't mix




It has been awhile since my last blog. Telling the story of Red Campbell and his passing was a labor of love, but now, that story is told and it is time to move on to other things. In order to keep you interested in the events that are shaping my life (and Kerry's too), I decided to blog about something new to me, something exciting, something transforming, something painful.

I am talking about P90X . . .

My youngest son Nicholas completed the P90X program earlier this year and has raved about it ever since.  What does P90X mean, you may ask. Simply put... POWER  90  EXTREME!  This is a complete 90-day in home fitness program designed to get you in the best shape of your life, as long as it doesn't kill you first.
The system includes 12 intense workouts that utilize resistance and body-weight training, cardio, plyometrics, ab work, martial arts and yoga. A healthy nutrition plan is also a key part to any fitness program.

I am more of a follow-my-own-path kind of guy. So today, was day 1 for me and I decided to blog about the experience, just in case any of you out there might be interested in what it is like for me to put my body (and mind) through things that I never dreamed possible.

Here we go.

DAY ONE... I sat and watched the first dvd yesterday (Cardio X). The pace seemed rather fast but in my mind I was convinced that I could keep up. The 45 minute long exercise program had a fast paced warm up, an even faster paced cardio workout followed by my favorite part...the cool down and END!!!

I have been exercising for sometime now with a regular routine that I seldom sway from. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays I run on the treadmill for 3 miles (35 minutes). On Tuesdays, Thursdays and most Saturdays I do a series of upper body exercises, including various planking positions as part of my warm up.

But here is my problem...FOOD! I once asked my doctor why it is that even though I exercise regularily, my weight is stable at 20 lbs above where it should be. Yes, I am converting fat into muscle tissue (and that is a good thing) but after years, my weight is going down at a slower-than-desired pace. His answer to my inquiry was two simple words...words that I now realize were words of truth and wisdom. He said, "Portion Control." Yikes... When something tastes so good, it is hard to stop at just one serving. And don't get me started on the what we lovingly refer to as the num nums our evening piece (or 3) of dark chocolate.

So when Nick suggested this P90X program, I thought, "Why not? Lets give it a try." This is my story...

As I mentioned above, I watched the first dvd to mentally prepare myself for what I was obligated to do. Today while Kerry was out, I ran the program and had all of my tools at hand (a stool, floor pad, heart monitor, water and the remote control so I could easily pause it if I needed a break). By time the warm up was done, I was huffing and puffing like a chain smoker. I was thinking to myself that this was going to be a LONG 45 minutes. It wasn't.

At the end of the program, I was suprised to see that for the most part, I was able to keep up. Now, keep in mind that when they did some martial arts moves (round house kicks, etc) mine weren't so pretty. I didn't have the clean cut lines that those on the screen had, but I had the moves and intensity needed to bring on a good sweat. I studied Korean Karate when I was younger and so those moves came back to me very easily, without the youthful dexterity.

I paused the dvd twice, once to refill my water bottle and once to catch my breath before moving on to the next routine. Yes, I even thought about just turning it off and taking a nap, but I fought the urge, and won. I have a feeling my muscles will ache tomorrow....a good ache.

Tomorrow, my day TWO, I will start by taking down all of my measurements and documenting them so I can monitor my progress along the way. I will wait until I have completed the full 90 days before sharing with you my loss (or gain).

I hope you find this blog interesting enough to become a follower. If at any time you have a question, please feel free to ask me anything, anytime. Now, for just one piece of chocolate (portion control, portion control, portion control - but it taste so good!)

Oh, and one more temptation, Kerry is in the kitchen baking chocolate chip cookies. Lord, give me strength.


                   Me, after just one day of P90X...WOW, even my face changed...LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment